ILAP'S IMPACTILAP provides affordable legal services and collaborates with service providers, policy makers, and the public concerning legal issues unique to immigrants, to ensure immigrants can effectively navigate our legal system. We help immigrants gain or improve their legal status, unite their families, improve their educational and employment opportunities, and contribute fully to their new communities in Maine. ILAP works toward a more just and equitable society where immigrants are treated with respect and dignity, and are valued for the cultural, political, intellectual, and economic vibrancy they bring to Maine.
- ILAP promotes culturally and economically dynamic communities in Maine.
- ILAP makes certain that all individuals can contribute to their communities.
- ILAP ensures that laws are applied fairly and equally to all.
- ILAP reunites families, by bringing loved ones to new homes and new lives here in Maine.
- ILAP saves individuals from torture and persecution.
- ILAP protects isolated women trapped in abusive relationships.
- ILAP advocates for laws that address the root causes of inequality and discrimination.
READ ABOUT SOME OF OUR CLIENT SUCCESS STORIES
- "Paul" was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer when in his 50s and was subsequently forced to quit his job.
- "Carlos," a teenager, fled his country to escape his father's abuse, only to be put in proceedings to deport him back to his home and continued violence.
- "Angela" left her country to start a new life with her U.S. citizen husband here in Maine, and was shattered when her husband became abusive.